Monday, February 7, 2011

New routine: Swimming + steam room + Yoga


Have you ever been bored by your workout routine?
I've been these past weeks...
So, this morning, I decided to change my usual 'cardio + weight + stretching' routine to:
Half hour (to 45 minutes) of swimming for cardio and muscles' warm-up, 10 to 15 minutes in the steam room to prepare articulations and muscles to stretching in yoga asanas, and 45 minutes to one hour of an Asthanga-Vinyasa Yoga routine.
- Am usually swimming 15 to 20 laps(50m) of freestyle, a few laps of breast strokes and back strokes to cool down and then do some aquagym movements with hand's paddles to increase the water pressure.
- The steam room's heat doesn't provide a warm-up (swimming does) but improves flexibility and physical strength, even after leaving the steam room for the yoga practice. Standing, bending over stretching the hamstrings, twisting the waist, prepares the body for yoga.
- My yoga routine includes 3 to 5 rounds of Salutation to the Sun, 10 to 12 standing poses, back bends, forward bends, inversions, Pranayama, Shavasana.
Tip: This combination of warm up in the pool and heat in the steam room is one of the best preparartion for a yoga session I've ever experienced.
I felt fully energized after this morning exercise session; a good break in my routine, to be added to my weekly program...

No comments:

Post a Comment